Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Breastfeeding – The Journey Through Challenges – Charlene and Son






From the start we had it all planned, I was going to have a non-medicated natural birth. My husband would cut the umbilical cord and would shout out the baby’s gender then we would have skin to skin and breastfeed for as long as possible. No pacifiers, medication, or formula. However, life had a different plan for my family. I had an emergency C-Section and my son was rushed to the NICU before I could see, touch and admire him. During the time my son was away and not with me I felt defeated and heart broken. The only thing that I could do for him was PUMP, PUMP and PUMP, so that he could have something from his mom.  I started pumping right after surgery every two hours for two long dreadful weeks. At the beginning I had a hard time emptying my breast; as a result I was engorged all the time for the first few weeks. Once I learned how to express milk manually I felt some relief from the pain I was experiencing. Eventually I was comfortable enough that I could pump and hand express at home and at the hospital where I would benefit from seeing my son. I was concerned that not being able to touch him would decrease my milk supply and that I would have to give him formula, thankfully that was not the case. 

On Mother’s Day, just two days before my baby was released from the hospital I had the opportunity to hold him and breastfeed for the first time. It was the best Mother’s Day gift I could ask for. It was the utmost magical, beautiful, and most rewarding experience. My son finally had his mommy and I would never let him go. Once at home he had a hard time adjusting to us and his new environment, but the one thing that always soothed and relax him was breastfeeding. Even though we were finally home we had new challenges that I did not foresee; because of my C-Section I found it difficult to get into a position that was comfortable for me. We tried the cross cradle, football hold, and side lying until we found a very useful nursing pillow that took the pressure and weight from my abdomen. Eventually my baby and I got synchronized and overcame that challenge, but it seemed that we would overcome a problem when a new one arose. For example in my case my nipples were sore and at times they would bleed due to the fact that my son was born with one tooth, I also experienced clogged ducts, back aches, and after my maternity leave was over I had to return to work full time and the pressure to produce more milk was overwhelming. Besides all of that having the right support from my family and several lactation recipes along with teas and lots of determination have been key for me to be able to breastfeed for 6 months now. I now have an established milk supply, I no longer dread pumping and I look forward to coming from work to feed my son. I plan to breastfeed for the first year and if possible two plus years.


Despite the many hurdles and obstacles my son and I have encountered, breastfeeding has been a wonderful journey. My son is happy and healthy, and there is nothing I rather do than to be feeding my baby and him looking up at me with those beautiful brown eyes. Breastfeeding has created a beautiful strong bond between my son and I and I am proud that I trusted my body to make the magical substance that my son needs to thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment