Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Breastfeeding Tales of Twins – Ginette’s Story






Sitting down to write this brings tears to my eyes. Tears of happiness because my babies just turned 18 months and they still breastfeed, sometimes; Tears of heartbreak because my babies only breastfeed sometimes. Then tears of laughter every time either of them points to my breast or try to pull on my shirt because they want it now! My breastfeeding journey began many years before I had my Twinkies. I remember my sister being adamant about breastfeeding her oldest son Amaury, and thinking “Wow, that is so hard, I don’t think I could do it.” However, I noticed how in tune he was with her, the cuddles and what a happy, healthy baby he was and decided it was worth it. Fast forward 14 years, two IVF treatments later and having that little ultrasound where two little specks of white and gray and black showed me the first picture of my babies and right at that moment I decided that I would do everything possible to be able to breastfeed my babies. I read a lot, I went to a breastfeeding class, I kept researching during my pregnancy, and no matter how much I read, asked or reviewed nothing could prepare me for those first few days with my babies. 


I almost gave up. Within the first 20 minutes after Lucas and Samantha had been born I got my skin to skin with both babies, and it was perfect. I could not have been any happier or any more clueless. At the hospital, the lactation consultant came to visit me a couple times a day. She would latch them on, but I couldn’t replicate it just right. Lucas was born with low blood sugar, so I was told to supplement with high calorie milk. Samantha was on the threshold, so she needed to supplement as well. My dear OBGYN, was so kind and supportive and he signed off on me staying a couple extra days so that I could continue to work with the Lactation Consultant and be a little more confident once I got home with breastfeeding. By the fourth day, at the hospital it wasn’t too bad. I had finally latched on both of them and it felt like it was working. Then we went home. At home, nothing worked, and every bottle that I prepared with the supplemental milk made me cry.  I had tried all the possible holds, one baby at a time, both together, letting them do the crawl to the breast. I just ended up crying, every night. So I did what I do best, I researched my issues. At least now what I was experiencing was not hypothetical and I thought I knew what was wrong, but the nights of more tension and crying went on. Finally I stumbled upon a Lactation Consultant that offered a latch clinic. I emailed her and connected with her right away. A couple of days later both my babies were found to have lip and tongue ties. My two fraternal twins, that are nothing alike, had identical lip ties according to the LC, and later confirmed by the dentist. We debated about the revision all of 5 minutes. My husband saw how miserable I and the babies were and we agreed that it would be beneficial for them even in the long run. This was not only about breastfeeding. 


After the revision it was much better. I finally fed both babies, and in a matter of weeks I was able to stop supplementing both babies. My babies became exclusively breastfed. I was able to continue to breastfeed easily and we have now made it to 18 months. I still look back at those first few weeks and I cannot believe how far we’ve come. Breastfeeding allowed me to connect with both babies at the same time, it gave me the opportunity of feeding them by myself without having to feed one while the other cried waiting, to nurse them both to sleep, to soothe them when they are sick or when they fall. My Lucas still greets me every day with a quick search on my bra for his milk, and Samantha rarely goes to sleep without it. It has been the most complete experience of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment