Sunday, October 11, 2015

Treasuring Every Moment - Amity’s Nursing Journey






I was fortunate enough to breastfeed my son for 15 months after overcoming latch problems in the beginning. With the support of my husband, mom and OB we figured things out and had an amazing journey.

He was always very predictable in his feeding patterns and then one night when he was 15 months old he didn’t pat the rocking chair for me to sit down where we nursed. Just like that he was done! I cried the first few nights because I couldn't believe how big my little boy was but we were both happy.

Then a few years later our daughter joined us. I was induced because my doctor was afraid if not I might not make it to the hospital in time. It was a hard decision because I’ve always believed that babies come when they are ready. They started my Pitocin around 6:30am and she was born at 8:46am, she came in 7 minutes with no other medication! They immediately laid her on my chest and we soon began nursing. She knew exactly what to do and we snuggled and nursed for the next hour or so. I was very fortunate to be in a hospital that supported me and did not rush to take her from me to weigh or bathe her.

My son nursed well after he was born too, but the following feedings were much more challenging until we found a good rhythm. That was not the case for Miss C; she was a pro from the start. Her favorite place is with mommy. She was not as predictable in her feeding patterns as my son she was more "all boob all the time!" We followed her lead and nursed when she wanted and she eventually started spacing feedings out at more regular intervals, although nighttime was a struggle.

I returned to work after 9 weeks and as a teacher, pumping was not always convenient but I was committed to providing for her just as I did for my son. I pumped while driving to and from work as well as my lunch and at night if I needed. Now she is 18 months old and we still have a very strong nursing relationship, and she does not seem interested in stopping anytime soon. We usually just nurse in the morning and night, and on occasion when she is sad or tired. For now I am her safe place and I love how she will come get in my lap and tug at my shirt and ask for “nigh nigh’s” I know it won’t last forever even though we joke that she is going to nurse until she goes to college. I treasure every moment and love being her everything! 


No comments:

Post a Comment