Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Thyroid Imbalance and Essential Oils – Gabriella and Son






When my son, my first child, was six months old, I was struck by a large pick-up truck while pushing him across the street in an intersection crosswalk.  

He'd always been fussy when trying to nurse, but I thought it was because we were using a shield and he was having a hard time getting a good latch. We'd had a tongue tie clipped, but was not aware of a lip tie problem, which is probably what kept him from being able to latch naturally, without the shield.   

I'd taken him many times to a local hospital's breastfeeding support group, weighed in, fed, and weighed out, with no concerning observations. I'd wanted a home visit with a Lactation Consultant, but finances discouraged it. However, once the accident and diagnosis occurred, I made it top priority to get some professional input. It could go without saying that her visit was invaluable! Even if she'd walked in, said this one "gold nugget" of truth and then left, it would have been worth every penny. (I'd have paid her double if I could have.) She said, "If your thyroid is under-producing, your milk will tank!”  Instantly I knew that she had hit the nail on the head for me. I instantly knew that was my problem because I had noticed other symptoms of thyroid imbalance- hair loss, zero energy, brain-fog, "CRAN-KY" momma syndrome....! 


Right away, my mom shared with me a homeopathic remedy for thyroid from Nutra Bio. It helped pretty much instantly and I took it for about two weeks. My nurse mother-in-law encouraged me to look into some additional ways to support my health, thyroid and milk supply. I'd been trying to enjoy foods and drinks, such as milk cookies, fenugreek tea and capsules and other teas designed for mommas who need to make milk, that were touted for supporting breastmilk production, but the only result was weight-gain. So, I pursued another interest that I'd realized just before my son was born, and that was essential oils. I wondered and looked up what kind of oils would support the thyroid and, therefore, support milk production. I found that basil, clove, fennel and lemongrass were all highly recommended. I tried some of the oils and the results were spectacular! What a blessing from God! I've had milk ever since, except for the occasions when I've had run-ins with mint or sage. (EEEK! Those things sapped my milk in a heartbeat!)  

My tips for applying the oils are to apply to the throat/neck area directly after nursing and putting the baby down, and to apply every time you think of it between nursing sessions. Stop applying about 30 minutes before nursing again, just to be sure that the oil is absorbed and that baby's hands and face do not come into contact with the oils while eating and cuddling. You can also apply to the bottoms of your feet to experience positive results. Be aware that clove and lemongrass have been known as skin irritants, but diluting with a carrier oil is a great way to avoid any discomfort for you or for baby.  


Eventually, thanks to a new girlfriend, I started drinking green smoothies and yummy veggie/fruit smoothies of all sorts and the nutrition I received was provided additional support to my body. Fresh foods always help! 

He's almost three and we are still nursing. I apply the oil blend as needed, which isn't very often, unless I have major encounters with mint- peppermint, spearmint, or wintergreen. He loves his milk, is happy, and so am I.

Happy nursing, Mommas! 


No comments:

Post a Comment