Monday, January 5, 2015

Amanda and Luke ~ Another Story of Perseverance




Before Luke was born, I was determined to breastfeed- but with the worry of my PPD/PPS returning. Luke was born via emergency C-section at a whopping 9 pounds and 7 ounces.   After clearing his lungs, he was handed over to me to begin nursing. I noticed immediately that he couldn't latch and wasn't waking up.  After several attempts we notified the nurses that he was going limp and his blood sugars were tested.  Instead of a healthy 50+ reading, Luke's read 16 and he was immediately taken to NICU and put on a feeding tube to prevent his sugars from dropping any further.  I immediately got set up with a pump and began pumping every two hours and was getting 1-2ml of colostrum to put into his tube almost instantly!  I was determined not to use formula.

 Luke's face muscles had not gotten enough strength while growing and were not strong enough to pull milk from my body, so we had to keep him on the feeding tube and feed him with a bottle.  After a week, he was released and we continued with the bottles.  The constant pumping was wearing me thin. I decided to retry breastfeeding in hopes that practice would make it better on me.  He took to the breast like a champ and has since refused all bottles.  We are now nearly 11 months strong, without any weaning in our future.  I know that my milk healed his body and the breastfeeding relationship has healed me.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment