Monday, January 5, 2015

Rebecca and Clare ~ Patience and Confidence Builder for a First-time Mom


After 4+ years of infertility and undergoing tests, medications, and surgery through NaPro Technology, we were blessed with our beautiful daughter Clare in May 2014. I knew I wanted to breastfeed her and was hoping it wouldn't be a struggle. Luckily she caught on quickly but I did have a some struggles in the first few weeks as my milk supply adjusted. Clare would get really fussy while nursing because the flow and letdown was too much for her to handle. It was very frustrating when she'd freak out several times while she ate, but eventually we got things figured out. Now the hardest part is controlling a super wiggly baby!  

 

Just after Clare was born, a friend and her family came to visit. This friend has 5 beautiful children and is a pro in my eyes when it comes to breastfeeding. I was nursing during their visit and Clare was still having a hard time and started to throw a fit. I was embarrassed and emotional so I took her into the bedroom to try again. My friend came to see how I was doing and I started to cry and vent about my frustrations. She gave me a huge hug and some advice and encouragement, saying that I reminded her of herself when she had her first child. I've learned that having good support truly is vital when nursing. My husband, friends, and family have been great and super helpful in my confidence as a mother. 

 


Breastfeeding has been a learning experience for sure and has helped me grow in patience. I love the bond that it's created between us and I'm still in awe at the fact that I'm able to feed my baby with my own body - it's so beautiful! Nursing in public can be hard at times (again, the wiggly baby) but I've encountered nothing but positive comments so far. I do typically use a simple cover when breastfeeding in public, just out of personal preference, but have been told by several mothers that they never had the confidence and support to even do that when their children were nursing. 

 

I've gone back to work part time so I have to pump for those few days I'm in the office. It feels like such a chore sometimes, but is definitely worth it, knowing that she still gets that nourishment while my husband is with her on those days. I'm also very lucky to have a supportive boss and coworkers and can take pumping breaks as needed. I can definitely see why some women get discouraged and quit nursing when they don't have a supportive environment and people around them. While I'm still at the very beginning of my journey as a breastfeeding mom, I know that I am truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment